Insert text here just test



Llanbedrog Information

Email us:                     - or email a friend with our web site address -                     Tell a friend

Accommodation:   Bed & Breakfasts    Self Catering Holiday Cottages    Camping & Caravan Sites

Food & Transport:   Pubs / Restaurants / Hotels    Taxis and Buses    Council & Tourist Info

North Wales Police    Traffic & Travel

Things to Do :     Activities    Beaches    Walks & Maps    Local Weather    Local Tides

Other useful links:   Local Businesses     News & Events     About the site/Advertise     Gwynedd Recycling/Refuse Info

CHEAPEST / BARGAINS       Links            LIKE on Facebook         Twitter          Instagram         Facebook Group  FaceBook Group    


Llanbedrog Information - Headland and Foel Felin Wynt (Jampot)

Mynydd Tir y Cwmwd (The Headland) - A vast area covering about 175 acres with a covering of gorse and heather. Fine views can be seen from the top towards Abersoch and Pwllheli as well as over Cardigan Bay. The whole area is common land and is zigzagged by many paths. Great care must be taken on the slope with children as numerous accidents occur annually. Along the cliff coast are situated three disused granite quarries, a relic of pre-war activity.

Footnote: Approx Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 - A group of people have purchased from the MacMaster's estate Llanbedrog Headland - the group made up of Bear Grylls, Neil Lamont and the Vimto brothers John Nichols (and James and Matthew Nichols?), not sure what their plans are at the moment.

Llanbedrog Headland
Llanbedrog Headland
Llanbedrog Headland - Rainbow


At the sea end of the headland from the beach when the tide is out, you can see the remains of the jetty (Trwyn Llanbedrog Gwaith Canol jetty) that was used by ships to transport the stones from the quarry to their ultimate destination. You can also see the remains of the old quarry buildings one in particular is a large hopper building pictured below, where stone sets that were quarried and cut at the quarry were stored before being transported again by ship to their ultimate destination.

Llanbedrog Headland - Quarry jetty

Llanbedrog Quarry jetty in background behind sailing ship

Llanbedrog Headland - Remains of old jetty

Remains of the old jetty (Vertical wooden supports in the sand) at Quarry Beach


Llanbedrog Headland - Hopper Quarry Building

The hopper building used to store the stones sets prior to shipping from the quarry.


It is not clear what the purpose was of placing what has become known as the Iron Man or Tin Man on Llanbedrog headland. However, it can be seen from the beach and of course from the grounds of Plas Glyn-y-Weddw. The Original Iron Man (pictured left) was a figurehead from a ship, placed there by Solomon Andrews, a wealthy Cardiff businessman. Thanks to Tony Buckley for the use if the left hand photograph taken in 1960's.

Llanbedrog Headland
Llanbedrog Headland
Llanbedrog Headland


When it was vandalized by being burnt the village decided to replace it with another one (pictured middle), Mr Simon van de Put a 'local' artist/sculptor living in Lanbedrog, (1976-1990) was contacted by neighbour Will Jones, Councillor and Berwyn Jones father, to see if he would make a figure to replace the vandalised, wooden ships figurehead erected in 1919 by Solomon Andrews Cardiff business man and former owner of Plas Glyn y Weddw. Simon agreed and the figure was constructed from recycled steel sheet and bar and represented an ancient man who possibly roamed the headland in former times. The work was completed in March 1980, transported by tractor and trailer across the headland and then 'man handled' into position by various members of Llanbedrog Community Council and Simon included. The sum for this work was agreed as £50, as Simon a resident of Llanbedrog, was happy to donate his time to the Community Council. Due to the materials used and the untreated surface, (all the better to blend in with the natural surroundings) the 'Iron Man', as was expected, gradually decayed until all that was left were his boots. The refurbishment in 1987, was generously paid for by a Mr Rowley, St Annes Lancs, a summer resident living near the beach. Simon's not sure when 'Tin Man' came in to use - but he says you could blame the Wizard of Oz! As far as Simon is concerned, during the time he was a resident in the village it was always known as the 'Iron Man'. There was also a completely mis-leading article in the Daily Mirror 'Old Codgers' readers queries page, stating, despite Simon's description over the phone, that it was constructed from pewter - an even more expensive material than tin! (PS Our Thanks for Simon van de Put for updating us on these details).

Again the village decided to replace the second one with a third (pictured right), again using local village talent. The team consisted of Berwyn Jones, who designed the new Iron Man and two local craftsmen David and Hugh Jones who created the final product. This was helicoptered into position on Llanbedrog headland on Jubilee weekend (1st June 2002). The new one is hollow and is good to visit on a windy day when the wind makes the Iron Man sing! If you want to contact the backsmith who did all this sterling work look at his web site on just click on the link.

The headland is a fabulous place to walk with magnificent views - well worth a visit.

Also worth a visit is Foel Felin Wynt, Foel Fawr, or Foel Tŵr or the Jam Pot as it is known locally is well known for it's old windmill on the summit.  It is thought that several lightning strikes put the windmill out of action, and today just the shell remains.

Views from here extend East, over Pwllheli to Snowdonia, South over Cardigan Bay, Abersoch and St. Tudwal'sIslands. To the West is Rhiw Mountain (with the tall mast/antenna) and to the North is Llithfaen and the Rivals (3 peaks like a dragons back).

Foel Felin Wynt - Signpost
Jampot from a distance
Foel Felin Wynt
Views from Foel Felin Wynt

We would recommend parking at Mynytho Common, where there are picnic benches and public toilets, if required.  There are also some good views, at this point, of the St. Tudwal’s Islands.  From here, it is a walk of approximately 1.4km (0.8 mile) via the road to the entrance and footpathThe entrance is clearly identified by the National Trust signpost which has another name - Foel Felin Wynt - literally meaning Wind Mill Hill.

Alternatively, from the recommended parking, there is a public footpath (look for the sign post), approximately 0.7km (0.4 mile) along the road which cuts across the field toward Foel Fawr.  You may need some waterproof footwear for this route, if the weather hasn’t been good.

From the entrance point, follow the path up the fairly steep but short assent, which is uneven and a little rocky in parts (slippery when wet !).

Once at the summit you can take in the views.

We wish to thank our sponsors who are listed on every page, their sponsorship allows us to keep this site accurate, alive and up to date, click on their logo below to go directly to their own web site.

The Ship Inn Llanbedrog
The Ship Inn
Your local pub with
home cooked locally sourced meals
Tel: + 44 (0) 1785-741111

Glyn y Weddw Arms Llanbedrog
Glyn y Weddw Arms
Your local pub with
home cooked food
Tel: + 44 (0) 1785-740212

The Barn Pwllheli
The Barn Eating House
Stryd Moch/Gaol Street
Home cooked food to cater for all tastes from snacks to sirloin steaks all made with fresh ingredients.
Tel: + 44 (0) 1785-613800
Mob: +44 (0) 7909-678405

Glynllifon House to Rent
Glynllifon Manor House
Abersoch Road, Llanbedrog
6 bedrooms (sleeps 13)
5 bathrooms
Available for rent as a house
on an AST
Contact owners below:
Rita or Jitty Trehan
Tel: +44 (0)7900 217181
or +44 (0)7900 217234

Wern Fawr Manor Farm
Wern Fawr Manor Farm
FIVE Self Catering Holiday Cottages &
Country House Bed & Breakfast
Cards etc
Tel: +44 (0) 1758-740156

Bob Valentine - The Shooting School
Established 1986
Tel: +44 (0) 1758-740810
Mob: +44 (0) 797-0014743

Sponsor this site
Click on logo to see how



Last Updated:

© 2003 - 2016 - Alan Harper-Smith - All rights reserved worldwide.

Designed and powered by:
Go to top of Page


Llanbedrog scenes
Llanbedrog Welsh Flag

© 2003 - 2016 - - Alan Harper-Smith - All rights reserved worldwide.
Wern Fawr Manor Farm, Lon Pin, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli, Gwynedd LL53 7PH